Comment on page
Five skills for Civil Engineers
Essential skills for Civil Engineers for this decade
- Calculations are generally done with Spreadsheets, CAD sheets
- Not just do the calculations, we do need to know exactly the formula employed and do hand calculations to check.
- If possible master the art of computer programming
- We need clarity in our thought and procedures, so that we could delegate the same
- How to teach is an important part of the day to nourish
These are the skills we need to teach people around us without being mean.
- How to fold engineering drawings
- How to take notes
- How to decide which option to adopt
- How not to be lazy
- The ability to take decision. Seems easy but takes few years of practice to depending on the task
- For example,
- 1.How much approximation is okay
- 2.Which work to prioritize
- 3.Are the design calculations satisfactory
- 4.Submit fast, and update fast with input from reviewers
- Not literally talking less. It means more action.
- Carefully use the words - "Never", "Perfect", "100%", "hard work", "Wrong"
- Use these words regularly - "Thank you", "Is this design seem okay?"
- Add a factor of safety when updating a possible timeline. If the work can be completed in a week, add a safety of a day or two to account for other urgent work.
- Get preliminary info (data), and do some calculations to know what other information is required.
- Do not try to impress people. You do not need to.
- Stay to the point, always keep the final objective of the discussion in mind.